Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I can give you half

So 12pm hits. Ruslan Fedotenko and Rob Scuderi sign with Tampa Bay. Where do the Penguins turn?

The first name on everyone's list appears to be Mike Knuble. The vet made 2.8 million last year while putting up 27 goals and 47 points. I wouldn't mind signing him but I think younger cheaper options can be found. I'd rather not have two of our top wingers be 38 years old.

The first name on my list is Jason Williams from the Columbus Blue Jackets. He's 28 years old, made 2.2 million last year and has averaged .6 ppg over the last four years, which roughly translates to about 20G and 30A over a full season. Put him on Malkin's wing and he's going to be 25 and 40. He doesn't have the grit Fedotenko has but he'd be a good replacement.

Ales Kotalik has slightly better numbers than Williams, and he's 6'2", but I also expect him to command a higher salary. He's more of a high profile free agent than Williams, and I don't see much of a chance we sign him, although it would be a solid pick-up

This is about the point where you start reaching for UFA's. I like Taylor Pyatt from the Canucks, he's 27, 6'4", has put up some decent numbers in the past including a 20 goal season, and he's from Thunder Bay, Ontario might he look good on the wing of another 6'4" Thunder Bay born guy? He just might.

Kyle Calder, put up good numbers 3 or 4 years ago, but he's smaller and more recently he seems to be a perennial minus. That not be much of an issue if he played with Malkin, but I'm not sure if his play has dropped off.


and the defensemen. One of the important things for me when I searched for potential replacements for Scuderi.

Francois Beauchemin, is on more than just the Pens wish list. I doubt he signs here, but man he'd look good as a replacement for Scuds.

Dimitri Kalinin is second on my list. He's 6'3" and 28 years old and just might be out of our price range. However, he's got the best puck skills of the D on my radar and would fit in best with the Penguins style of play.

Marek Malik is this high on my list because he's 6'6", and the Pens aren't just losing Rob Scuderi but 6'7" Hal Gill as well. Plus he could probably be signed for less than 2 million and short term. He might not be the best player available, but he might end up being the best fit.

Paul Mara: I don't think he's the right fit, I think he has major problems defensively, but he's 6'4" he made 2 million last year, he's only 29, he can move the puck relatively well. I think worse moves can be made and for the right price he would add some good size to the back end.

Dennis Seidenberg is an intriguing FA. He's the youngest of the bunch at 27 and made only 1.2 million last year, so he's probably looking for a raise. But he put up some good numbers for Carolina last year. At 6' he doesn't have the size I was hoping for and he doesn't have a great plus/minus, but if there's not a lot of interest in him he might be a good middle of the road signing.

and finally Christian Backman. I saved him for last because at 3.4 million, his salary was the highest of anyone I thought we might go after. Everything else about him is great though. He's a solid defensive defenseman. He's only 29 years old, he's got the size at 6'3", unfortunately I just don't see him taking a pay cut to join our team.


Well those are my thoughts. Over the next couple of days we'll see whether they prove true, or whether I end up looking like an idiot. Either way I'm chalking it up as a win because we still hold the Cup.

-the legend

No comments:

Post a Comment