Saturday, July 4, 2009

We? No, we are not French. We are American, because you're in America, okay? Greatest country on the planet.

Happy July 4th to all.

On to business.

It's a sad day in the P. As the Penguins have lost Michel Therrien's whipping boy Chris Minard. Three minute Minard as we liked to call him around here, sat on the bench with the best of them. The man played two shifts a game better than anyone I've ever seen. He's pictured here in his favorite spot during the 2007-08 season.

Photobucket

I tried to find a picture of him on the ice in a Pittsburgh Penguins uniform, but they don't make camaras with fast enough shutter speeds. The Springfield Falcons just got a whole lot better.

In similar news Jeff Taffe signed with the Florida Panthers. Turns out Jeff Taffe has scored 20 goals in his NHL career, who knew?


Penguins sign Chris Conner, Nate Guenin and...

Ruslan Fedotenko


Photobucket
pictured here dropping a deuce

I questioned Ray Shero once. I thought his contract offer to Hossa last year was a mistake, given the peripheral effects it would have had on our team. I thought he got distracted by the shiny new toy in his office. However, as I pointed out with some other moves he made this off-season Shero is always learning. And no where is it more obvious than Feds re-signing. This is exactly what I wanted, and I could probably write a treatise as to why, but I'll break down the main points.

1 year, $1.8 million.

Feds was coming off a dynamite postseason where he proved for a second time how clutch of a performer he was. I imagine he was looking for a multi-year deal. I was just hoping to get him under the $2.25 mil he played for last year and I was thinking it might take a 2-year deal just to do that, I never pictured him coming in under $2 mil.

I think big props need to be given to Adams, Guerin and Feds. I realize the economy is in the tank, and demand for these guys services might not have been high, but all three signed for less money, and short deals to stick around. We're looking good for next year folks we're looking real good.

And best of all next off-season when the cap is expected to drop between $3-5 million we have Guerin $2 mil, Feds $1.8 mil, Cooke $1.2 mil, and Eaton $2 mil all coming off the books. Not getting stuck in a multi-year deal for our top six forward is a big deal with Letang needing a raise.


On to the final story of the day...

Mr Smith Goes to Hollywood

Photobucket
Is it me or does he look a bit like a cartoon in this picture?

Anyway, Ryan Smith is traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the LA Kings for D-men Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round pick in 2010. I think this is a great trade for LA, good trade for Colorado. First, the Avs.

It's a bit confounding as they already have 5 defenseman on their roster making over $3 million. But 4 are over thirty years old and 3 of them will be UFA's next year. So perhaps they're going to be shopping their services to other teams. Preissing is 30, a little cheaper than the guys I mentioned and has two years left on his contract. Quincey is a nice young guy to get in the deal, but I don't think LA gave up much in the deal, especially considering their depth at the position.

Which is why this is a great deal for the Kings. Smith is better than anyone currently on the market. He was much easier to get than Heatley, not to mention a bit better of a locker room presence. And given his cost, might have been a better option than Gaborik, and certainly a better option than tying yourself to Hossa for 12 years. People are always looking for the best player, which is not a bad strategy, but sometimes it's more about the best fit. And I can't think of a better fit for the Young LA Kings than Ryan Smith. I said in my review of the Scuderi signing that this would be a team to be reckoned with in 2-3 years. Look for them to make a Chicago type leap this season, and if they continue with the right moves to be a presence in 2.


Tomorrow we'll review what's left out on the market, mainly for the purpose of who the Penguins might sign on defense. Hopefully they don't snap up Jay Mckee by then or I'm going to have to think of something else. Don't forget about The Legend and The Law LIVE Monday night 6-9pm. www.wdsr.org. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Photobucket


Keep the Faith

-the legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment