Monday, July 6, 2009

Where art thou dog? Thy canine lover? Where is thy hot breath on the nape of my neck? We shall form a bond. You will lick my face and I your snout

Pens or big NHL news, Pens or big NHL news. Eh, we'll start with the NHL


Alexei Kovalev signs 2-year, $10 million deal with the Ottawa Senators

Photobucket

I love the logic of the NHL. Our team has been handcuffed by a selfish player, who played well below his ability this season, but has the ability to put the puck in the net as well as anyone. So we're going to sign an often enigmatic player, who played well below his ability this season and who was sent home for two weeks in the middle of a playoff race, to "get his head straight", to replace him. Excellent. Honestly, if they get a decent trade, like Penner and Cogliano, with the addition of Kovalev they might not miss Heatley so much. Again, this is another signing that only turns out well if other moves are made, and if everything works out perfectly.
Grade: I'll give it a B once Heatley is traded. Now C+ at best.


Toronto Maple Leafs sign FA defenseman Francois Beauchemin

Photobucket

Now that looks like a Brian Burke player (Beauchemin is the one who still has a head, btw). I don't think Toronto is going to get where it wants to be immediately. What I fear is that by the time their primo talent develops their roster is going to be loaded with lesser talent eating up a good chunk of cap space. This was the formula Burke used in Anaheim, and it just might work here, but it still hinges on a lot, including trading Kaberle. I'm just saying if I was starting a team I would not choose Mike Komisarek $4.5 mil, Thomas Kaberle $4.25 mil, Francois Beauchemin $3.8 mil, Jeff Finger $3.5 mil, and Mike Van Ryn $2.9 mil as my five defensemen.
Grade: A-, a little expensive, but he's not overpriced and it makes them better



Penguins sign F Chris Conner and D Chris Lee

Ray Shero has officially shown his first sign of panic, as upon Chris Minard's departure to Edmonton he clearly felt the Penguins were underrepresented by people named Chris and he snapped up the first two he found. Conner seems like a good replacement for Taffe, similar stats and history, Lee is another depth signing as the Pens recognize that Gogo and Lovejoy may not play with the Baby Pens this season. More good deals from The Boss, we're just waiting on that 6th Defenseman.

Speaking of which...

I finally figured out what I'm going to do for you guys, since I've put this off for two days due to my schedule, tomorrow night I'm going to bring you Pens FA, the eharmony version. We'll match up the remaining D on the market with the Penguins organization based on an in depth online questionnaire and a complicated algorithm that I spent years developing under the tutelage of eharmony found Neil Clark Warren and mathematician John Nash. This thing has a 100% guarantee (with a margin of error of +/- 50%), so make sure you come back for that.


Much love guys.

-the legend

No comments:

Post a Comment